Watch your Oral Health if you Drink Smoothies
Smoothies are great for your health and are becoming a very popular way to lose weight today. While they pack many great benefits, they can be harmful to your oral health if you are not careful. It is the combination of consuming fruits/vegetables that are known to stain teeth with acidic fruits, giving them an even larger chance at sticking to your enamel and eating away at it.
This leaves you at risk for tooth decay, sensitive and stained teeth – none of which you probably bargained for when you started your new health regime. Before you start on your smoothie kick, check out these simple tips to keep your oral health in check.
Simple Smoothie Tips
- Use a straw every time you drink a smoothie. No matter what ingredients you use in your smoothie, you decrease the risk of damage to your teeth by using a straw to drink it. The straw bypasses the risk of the liquid covering your teeth, forcing it straight down your throat instead. Of course, this does not completely eliminate the risks – you will still have to properly care for your teeth to ensure their optimal health.
- Avoid acidic ingredients. Fruits such as oranges, limes, and lemons might add great taste to your smoothies and even provide physical health benefits, but the acid in these fruits eats away at the enamel of your teeth, making them prone to certain conditions including tooth decay and sensitive teeth.
- Rinse your mouth after drinking a smoothie. As a general habit, always rinse your mouth with water after you finish your smoothie. This will help to eliminate any acids and sugars that are just waiting to eat away at your enamel.
- Drink plenty of water. In addition to rinsing, you should increase your water consumption after having a smoothie. The more hydrated you are, the more saliva you will produce, which is a great natural defense against decay and enamel erosion.
- Don’t brush your teeth right away. It might seem like common sense to brush your teeth immediately after consuming a smoothie in order to limit the damage that it causes, but this could cause your teeth more harm. Try to wait at least 30 minutes before brushing as immediately brushing could further weaken the enamel after the damage that the acid has already done.
- Use yogurt as your smoothie base. Yogurt provides many benefits for your oral health as it helps teeth to re-mineralize, giving you the strong enamel you desire. Make sure to choose a yogurt that is low in sugar in order to reap these benefits.
- Choose low sugar fruits. Sugar is bad for your teeth – we all know that. But it is not just refined sugar that you must monitor – natural sugars are just as damaging. When you choose the fruits to put in your smoothie, try low-sugar options, such as berries, apples, and bananas for the best results.
Choosing the right smoothies and proper oral health care can help you to optimize your physical health with fruit smoothies while not damaging your oral health. In addition to the above tips, you should make sure to practice proper oral hygiene.
Brushing your teeth twice a day is the best way to keep bacteria and plaque away from your mouth as is flossing at least once a day. The combination of these precautions will help you to enjoy your favorite foods while preserving your oral health.
If you would like more tips on how to monitor your diet for optimal oral health, please call our office for an appointment today!